Corporate blogs can be a useful communication channel. By providing companies with unvarnished feedback from customers, it can serve as an early-warning system for product or service problems. It can also provide an easy and inexpensive way to deliver specialized information to narrow segments of the market.
What can it Do?
1. National branding. They allow companies to present accurate information without the filter of the media or advertising.
2. Amplify marketing messages-through traditional channels. The use of a blog allows a company to provide a destination of information for consumers, from commercials to promotional coupons, to directions on how to use products.
3. Connection-Employment blogs allow a direct connection to online communities, increasing the number of qualified applicants by identifying communities of interest and building a loyal talent pool.
4. Human Touch-Public Relations blogs allow a corporation to put a human touch in place of the often used “corporatespeak.”
Corporate Blogging Risks:
1)Negative Comments. Companies are often very sensitive to criticism. Negative comments can be offset somewhat with a consistent and clear comment and moderation policy. Also, most readers tend to trust a site more that includes both positive and negative information.
2)Neglect- Companies need to spend time and incur costs to maintain and update their blogs regularly.
3) Misunderstanding the Audience-The blog audience is not the same as the company’s typical customer base, as blog readers are universally more tech-savvy, up-to-date on industry news, and more passionate about the company’s products and the organization, and also likely to be highly critical of dishonesty or insincerity.
Blogs are basically beneficial to the company if used well, and a menace if used poorly. Therefore, companies which participate in blogging should reduce its risks by managing effectively with the correct corporate blogging strategy to the benefit of their companies.
Also Visit: Top 15 Corporate Blogs(Ranked-May 2008)-mariosundar.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/top-15-corporate-blogs-ranked-may-2008/
- Corporate Blog-en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_blog
- Conference & Corporate Blogging as a Marketing Tool-www.internetviz-newsletters.com/bulldoge_article000404957.cfm
- Lessons in Corporate Blogging-www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2006/tc20060718_932217.htm